Students use the context of energy efficient sustainable houses to:
- learn about the particle model of matter
- investigate the 3 states of matter
- investigate how heat is transferred by convection, conduction and radiation
- investigate different materials used in housing (windows, insulation, roofing)
Students build a model low energy house.
- They conduct inquiry-based investigations into the effectiveness of building materials.
- They investigate careers and study pathways in the housing industry.
- This module uses a purpose-built equipment pack. A class-set comprises eight student kits and two teacher kits.
Maps to year 9 Physical sciences
Energy transfer through different mediums can be explained using wave and particle models
- exploring how and why the movement of energy varies according to the medium through which it is transferred
- discussing the wave and particle models and how they are useful for understanding aspects of phenomena
- investigating the transfer of heat in terms of convection, conduction and radiation, and identifying situations in which each occurs
- understanding the processes underlying convection and conduction in terms of the particle model
- investigating factors that affect the transfer of energy through an electric circuit
- exploring the properties of waves, and situations where energy is transferred in the form of waves, such as sound and light