STELR Professional Learning
Professional learning sessions are a key component of the STELR Program. The sessions combine background information and theory with hands-on activities in the use and care of the STELR equipment. Teacher professional learning is delivered by STELR staff and/or STELR Mentors.
Typically, they run for a day and cover the following topics:
- Philosophy and pedagogy of the STELR Project
- Inquiry-based learning, student and teacher perspectives
- Relevant concepts and inquiry-based activities to develop concepts
- Stimulus materials for classroom discussions
- Correct use and care if the STELR equipment
- Undertaking open ended investigations using the STELR equipment
- Assessment within the STELR project
- Curriculum materials including teacher and student resources and website information
- iSTELR demonstration using the web-based delivery platform for the STELR program
- The cost for a full-day STELR Teacher Professional Learning session is $100 per teacher.
- Schools willing to host a STELR Teacher Professional Learning for teachers in their region can send teachers to the session free of charge.
- Schools interested in purchasing class sets of STELR equipment may be eligible to send one teacher to a professional learning session free of charge.
- The content and duration of STELR Professional Learning sessions can be modified to suit the needs of your school. Please contact the STELR Program Manager to discuss your particular requirements.
Professional learning dates
STELR mentors are employed to visit schools to provide support to teachers using STELR programs and those considering purchasing STELR equipment. Please contact the STELR Program Manager to check on mentor availability and/or organise a mentor visit.