The Earth, Moon and Sun
The Earth, Moon and Sun student booklet uses an inquiry approach to investigate the moon phases and the seasons on Earth.
- Students observe the phases of the moon
- Students use models to understand the reasons for the phases of the moon and the seasons on Earth
Maps to year 7 Earth and space sciences
Predictable phenomena on Earth, including seasons and eclipses, are caused by the relative positions of the sun, Earth and the moon.
- investigating natural phenomena such as lunar and solar eclipses, seasons and phases of the moon
- comparing times for the rotation of Earth, the sun and moon, and comparing the times for the orbits of Earth and the moon
- modelling the relative movements of the Earth, sun and moon and how natural phenomena such as solar and lunar eclipses and phases of the moon occur
- explaining why different regions of the Earth experience different seasonal conditions